Backend Engineer – New York, NY
Resilia is a fast growing, venture backed, mission-driven SaaS tech startup with offices in NYC and New Orleans. Resilia’s SaaS product helps nonprofit organizations increase capacity and enables Enterprises (corporations, cities and private foundations) to measure and scale impact. Our tech-enabled concierge product helps nonprofits by “turbo taxing” the process of incorporating and applying for tax exemption.
About the Role
Can you pragmatically determine when to use REST, and when to use RPC? Can you diplomatically discuss the pros and cons of both strong typing and weak typing? Have you automated your application’s database migrations? We’re looking for an experienced backend engineer who can build APIs, data models, and complex server side components and uses the best languages and tools for the job. You should be familiar with event driven systems, domain driven design, and have implemented REST APIs, GraphQL, RPC systems, SSO based authentication and authorization services.
At Resilia, we’re building a new, powerful platform that frees nonprofits to do what they’re good at – delivering positive impact, while allowing our enterprise customers who deploy capital across their grantees to scale the impact of their programs.
You will report to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and become an early, crucial contributor to Resilia’s growing engineering team. You will partner with the product and design team and be responsible for delivering high quality, scalable code within the B2C and Enterprise products, along with the underlying technology platforms, pipelines and infrastructure. You must bring a curiosity to the team and add accretive value to the company through software contributions, best practices, humor and positive attitude. This is an opportunity to drive the technology strategy of a fast growing tech startup, from application frameworks to developer tooling to authoring conventions and architecture guidelines.
● 5+ years experience in software engineering or backend systems
● Ruby on Rails proficiency is a must, expertise is a plus
● GraphQL experience is a plus
● Proficiency in relational databases, ORMs, caching technologies,
● Continuous integration, deployment and delivery
● Experience developing software using agile methodologies
● Early stage startup experience a plus
● Experience or familiarity with nonprofits, foundations, government or corporate
philanthropy a plus
● Polyglot and elegant code creator
● Proponent of test driven development, domain driven design and devops as a culture
● Action-oriented, motivated, and comfortable in a fast paced startup environment
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Desire for collaboration over independent work (and knowing when to do both)
● Outstanding critical thinking and problem-solving skills gives you the ability to take
complex problems and distill them into discrete concepts
● Passion, humility, humor, integrity, positive attitude, and mission-driven
Resilia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.